Home Search Member List Faq Register Login  
UltimateMenu
Re: Frames Menu Spacing Bug

Thread Starter: quad2   Started: 09-27-2005 5:19 PM   Replies: 5
 Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateMenu » Re: Frames Menu Spacing Bug
 Printable Version    « Previous Thread   Next Thread »
  27 Sep 2005, 5:19 PM
quad2 is not online. Last active: 10/26/2005 6:39:04 PM quad2

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-27-2005
Posts 6
Frames Menu Spacing Bug
(Thanks for your help in my previous thread btw)

I've been having a crash course in the UltimateMenu today and I noticed a slight bug when using menus between frames.  I'm building off of the frames sample, so I'm pretty sure I'm working off of a stable base.

When I change the ShowTimeout value from it's default, funny things start happening with the menu spacing.

If I set it to 0 (with HideTimeout overridden to 500), and I start mousing over the top menu items (about a half-second between each item), and occasionally mouse down into a menu then back to the top, occasionally the submenus will jump down by as much as 18 pixels from the top of the main frame and to the right the further right the submenu is (so the right shift is more exaggerated the futher right the top menu item is).

If I keep mousing over the items, they eventually reset to their default positions (I don't have any offsets overridden).

If I set the ShowTimeout to 100, this behavior will still occur, but it will correct itself quicker (like after 2 more hovers, it usually fixes itself).

If I take out the timeout overrides, the menu functions as expected and never has an offset problem.

Just thought I would bring this to your attention (I would like the faster menus, but I may have to live with the default speed).

27 Sep 2005, 5:24 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-27-2005
Posts 6
Actually, now that I test it, I don't think it has anything to do with the speed (the bug occurs with the default show/hide speeds).  I'll keep taking options out of my menu until I can figure out why this is happening.

27 Sep 2005, 5:37 PM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 5/8/2018 10:36:45 AM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We tested the same issue in our Frames sample at the same time and our sample works properly. The issue you are having with might be specific to your frameset definition, document and body attributes in your frames and their doctypes. We would strongly recommend you to use our Frames sample pages as your template to start with, then make your changes to those pages according to your needs.

27 Sep 2005, 5:55 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-27-2005
Posts 6

I think I found the culprit... it's in my css.  I stripped everything out and that problem doesn't occur.  I think it's something to do with the manual style I was putting on the top-level menu items.  But I'm pretty sure that it was the combination of a custom style on top level items, frames, and a short menu timeout that was possibly causing Internet Explorer to have a bit of a problem.

27 Sep 2005, 11:33 PM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 5/8/2018 10:36:45 AM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
Frames and timeout combination shouldn't cause those problems, CSS definitions might be causing the anomalies. Are you defining menu item width and height values as well as your icon widths in your XML? Setting those attributes usually help these kinds of issues and differences in different browsers. If you reply to this post with your CSS styles, we could help you better.

17 Nov 2005, 8:28 AM
Quad is not online. Last active: 11/30/2005 1:32:15 PM Quad

Not Ranked
Joined on 09-27-2005
Posts 3
I found the issue with this BTW...   It as simple as having your top menu items bolded in frames mode and the submenus and items not bolded.  I'm not sure what's to blame for this, but it's possibly IE's fault because I know that formatting can affect div sizes (even when the standard says it shouldn't).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateMenu » Re: Frames Menu Spacing Bug

You can add attachments
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You can delete your posts
You can edit your posts
You can create polls
You can vote in polls
Forum statistics are enabled
Forum is unmoderated

© 2002-2021 Karamasoft LLC. All rights reserved.