Home Search Member List Faq Register Login  
UltimateEmail
Re: How to validate email entered in .NET CreateUserWizard?

Thread Starter: EllenD   Started: 12-18-2008 4:28 PM   Replies: 14
 Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateEmail » Re: How to validate email entered in .NET CreateUserWizard?
 Printable Version    « Previous Thread   Next Thread »
  18 Dec 2008, 4:28 PM
EllenD is not online. Last active: 3/23/2009 2:58:41 AM EllenD

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16
How to validate email entered in .NET CreateUserWizard?
Hi, I've just purchased the UltimateSuite, so apologies if my question is a bit obvious.

So far I've  used the email validation control OK to check an email address entered on a contact form, and that worked fine.

But I would also like to be able to check the email entered when someone signs up to a site using the standard .NET CreateUserWizard?

Any tips appreciated. I'd also be interested in what values the ValidateEmailAddress function can return, and what they mean?

Many thanks

19 Dec 2008, 2:48 PM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 11/10/2017 3:24:14 PM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
<asp:TextBox ID="Email" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>

<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ControlToValidate="Email" ErrorMessage="Email is required." ID="EmailRequired" runat="server" ToolTip="E-mail is required." ValidationGroup="CreateUserWizard1">*</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

<ksue:UltimateEmailValidator id="UltimateEmailValidator1" runat="server" ControlToValidate="Email" MaxValidationLevel="Domain" ValidationGroup="CreateUserWizard1" Display="Dynamic" ErrorMessage="Invalid email address."></ksue:UltimateEmailValidator>

22 Dec 2008, 2:42 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16
Hi,

Thanks that did help. The tag in my UltimateEmailValidator control came out as kswc not ksue, does this matter?

For those (like me) who did not know already, you have to convert your createuserwizard control to a template before you can add this code.

22 Dec 2008, 2:57 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
It doesn't matter whether you use ksue or kswc, but it should match the Register tag on top of your aspx page.

06 Jan 2009, 3:08 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16
Thanks. I tried changing the maxvalidationlevel to 'Domain' as I was still getting quite a few invalid signups on my website. However, now no one can sign up as all emails are rejected even if they are definitely valid - no one has been able to sign up since I changed it and I've had lots of enquiries instead.

The code on my page is as listed in the post above, apart from that change to maxvalidationlevel. Do I need something else?

Thanks for any help or suggestions from anyone who has had this problem, or used a higher validation level than 'syntax' successfully?

06 Jan 2009, 3:37 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
Have you tried testing one of those email addresses on our live website with domain level validation at http://www.karamasoft.com/Samples.aspx?component=UltimateEmail&sample=ValidateDomain?

07 Jan 2009, 3:23 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a couple of the email addresses on the link you posted, and I think they validated OK (no message was displayed anyway). So presumably that means there is something wrong with my page then - any suggestions please?

I have created a test page which you can see here
http://www.matchattaxswaps.co.uk/signup-test.aspx

Please let me know if I should paste the page code as well.

07 Jan 2009, 9:13 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
We verified that the page doesn't work on your website. However, this may be either due to a problem in your page, or on your website due to security, firewall, proxy or other network related restrictions. If you send us a self-contained sample application that shows the problems, we can look into it in our test environment. If it works on our test system, that will only prove that your server has some limitations as listed above. Therefore, you may try your app on a different machine outside your network.

14 Jan 2009, 4:39 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16
Hi, I am still having problems with this.

I created a very simple page which just validates the email address (domain level) based on one of your samples. This works OK when run on my local development machine (standard .NET on vista). But when I publish to my web host, it always says 'invalid email' even when the email is correct.

The hosting is a shared .NET setup, with no special security/firewalls that I know of. It runs .NET as medium trust. I don't have any other network available, this is the one I use for several websites and I'm really disappointed if the Karamasoft controls don't work. Could you please be a bit more specific about the sort of security which might cause this problem, and I can ask the host about it.

Are there any special settings for smtp required in web.config that might help? Different port perhaps? The website does send out emails sucessfully (such as the lost password reminder).

It would also be really useful to have a sample of using this validator with the .NET user signup wizard.

Many thanks

14 Jan 2009, 12:52 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
As you can read at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998341.aspx, medium trust is very restrictive on your application's ability. Even though SmtpPermission is allowed, WebPermission is not allowed. That must be the reason for your getting invalid response at your hosting environment. We will keep looking into the medium trust issues more carefully, but you may consider testing with another hosting company. Some of our customers recommend discountasp.com for less restrictions, but you have to test it for your own situation.

15 Jan 2009, 2:32 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16
Hi, thanks for you reply. I wouldn't consider a shared host which granted more than medium trust, as it would mean that other customers could potentially access my data. As it says in the msdn link you provided, you need 'medium trust level to provide application isolation'.

I think that if .NET controls are sold as being suitable for shared hosting, then they should work in a medium trust environment. Would there be any plans to work towards this in the future?

15 Jan 2009, 12:00 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
We will definitely look into this issue. However, you cannot expect the same behaviour from all .NET controls for a shared hosting environment. Each control does a different job, and it may require a higher trust level. For example, email validation requires low level TCP calls to check the existence of a domain or smtp server. Same thing applies to our search control because it indexes a website, which requires WebPermission and medium trust level is not sufficient. Therefore, it is different than displaying a navigation menu or rendering a datagrid by nature. In any case, we will explore this area to collect more information and apply the resolutions to our products. Thank you for your feedback.

16 Jan 2009, 6:25 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16

That's a real shame, as I have bought the whole suite of products and was hoping to use the search too. I'm not sure why indexing a website would need higher trust though, surely its just reading the files? Will try it out in the next week or so anyway. Thanks for your responses.

16 Jan 2009, 8:25 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
Please try to understand that it's beyond our control to set the ability of each trust level. We did some recent changes on UltimateSearch to make it work better in different trust levels. So please download the latest build from our website. Regarding search, you cannot use the auto reindex features in restricted trust levels, and you may not crawl websites if your trust level doesn't let you do so. As you've verified yourself in the medium trust document, it is very strict on FileIOPermission and WebPermission, which causes all those limitations. If you experience any issues, you may consider indexing your site on a separate machine, upload the index files and load them. You may either index your site remotely like Google does, or index on a development machine locally by creating production-ready index files.

16 Jan 2009, 2:28 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-19-2008
Posts 16
I do understand the limitations of a medium trust environment, and that people running on their own servers have a lot more freedom. But lots of people do use shared hosting, and medium trust is standard because it guarantees the privacy of data from other users, which higher levels of trust cannot.

I've not tried the search control yet but indexing locally could be done if needed.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateEmail » Re: How to validate email entered in .NET CreateUserWizard?

You can add attachments
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You can delete your posts
You can edit your posts
You can create polls
You can vote in polls
Forum statistics are enabled
Forum is unmoderated

© 2002-2018 Karamasoft LLC. All rights reserved.