Home Search Member List Faq Register Login  
UltimateEditor
ExpertPDF reliance on IE 8 engine - Blurry PDFs

Thread Starter: sportsbob   Started: 10-02-2015 12:57 PM   Replies: 5
 Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateEditor » ExpertPDF reliance on IE 8 engine - Blurry PDFs
 Printable Version    « Previous Thread   Next Thread »
  02 Oct 2015, 12:57 PM
sportsbob is not online. Last active: 8/28/2016 9:32:32 AM sportsbob

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 07-06-2011
Posts 23
ExpertPDF reliance on IE 8 engine - Blurry PDFs
The latest version of ExpertPDF has removed its reliance on the IE8 engine for rendering HTML for conversion to PDF.

Do you have any plans on updating the ephtmltopdf.dll? I have had to keep IE8 on my server so that PDFs won't come out blurry.

02 Oct 2015, 3:10 PM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 11/10/2017 3:24:14 PM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
Re: ExpertPDF reliance on IE 8 engine
We are not currently planning to update ephtmltopdf.dll but we will let you know if there are any changes in the future. Sorry for the inconvenience.

02 Oct 2015, 4:26 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 07-06-2011
Posts 23
Re: ExpertPDF reliance on IE 8 engine - Blurry PDFs
Soon MS will not provide security updates for anything below IE 11 on Windows Server 2008. I am also surprised my webhost has not required me to update IE on the server.

As you may recall, any version of IE greater than version 8 on the server will cause the PDF's to render blurry. If this condition persists much longer, then I will be forced to choose a new product before my webhost forces my hand.

I urge you make this a priority. Thanks.

Reminder from an email over 2 years ago:

We had some communication with the vendor and it turns out that they don't have a satisfactory solution for this problem and they only recommend some workarounds. One of them is to install IE8 on your web server instead of IE9 since this problem is caused by IE9. Please note that your clients can still use IE9 but it seems that the Html-To-Pdf component uses some of the IE engine components during the PDF conversion process, which happens on the server...

11 Dec 2015, 8:40 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 07-06-2011
Posts 23
As January 16th approaches, MS will no longer provide security updates to older browsers, which includes IE8. So, if my webhost decides that I can no longer have IE 8 on the webserver, then the PDF rendering feature in the ephtmltopdf.dll will render blurry PDFs. Which means my users will be SCREWED.

I'll be forced to find another solution which is maybe what you implied when you said you had no plans to update the DLL.

But I do know that ExpertPDF has removed their reliance on IE 8 html rendering engine to something that does not rely on an external program to do their html rendering.

As a side note, as of January 16th, .NET 4.5.2 will be the minimum supported version of .NET 4. So MS will support 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6 and 4.6.1.

Hopefully, if you still truly stand behind your product, you will update it accordingly. By not updating it, you're basically telling all of us to move on to something else.

11 Dec 2015, 11:25 AM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 11/10/2017 3:24:14 PM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,818
Unfortunately, we won't be able to support third party product upgrades anymore due to changing dependencies such as browsers. It's only getting harder to keep up with the changing environment especially with the introduction of cloud platforms. So, we'll focus only on the .NET Framework and operating system support from now on. Therefore, you may consider finding your own third party solution for custom conversions such as html to pdf. Sorry for the inconvenience.

11 Dec 2015, 12:12 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 07-06-2011
Posts 23
One of the nice things about the Ultimate Editor was the page break functionality that carried over to the PDF. Obviously something custom like that will not translate directly over to some other 3rd party PDF creation tool. Like I said ExpertPDF is no longer relying on the browser engine for rendering HTML like it did in the past. But properly parsing the page break was something that the DLL does specifically for the UltimateEditor.

My mistake was not heeding what you said in October. "We are not planning to update it at this time" I should have known that really meant "We are not going to update it" Which is what you should have said in the first place.

Time for us to move on to another solution entirely.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateEditor » ExpertPDF reliance on IE 8 engine - Blurry PDFs

You can add attachments
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You can delete your posts
You can edit your posts
You can create polls
You can vote in polls
Forum statistics are enabled
Forum is unmoderated

© 2002-2018 Karamasoft LLC. All rights reserved.