Home Search Member List Faq Register Login  
UltimateSpell
Re: UltimateSpell causing IE9 to freeze

Thread Starter: hdougie   Started: 05-27-2014 4:21 AM   Replies: 12
 Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateSpell » Re: UltimateSpell causing IE9 to freeze
 Printable Version    « Previous Thread   Next Thread »
  27 May 2014, 4:21 AM
hdougie is not online. Last active: 5/8/2018 3:14:10 AM hdougie

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
UltimateSpell causing IE9 to freeze
Hi,

We have recently had an issue, specifically with UltimateEditor with SpellAsYouType enabled (but I believe the actual core issue lies with the UltimateSpell component) where clients are having their browsers freeze/crash at random (preceded by a "long running script" error).

It is quite hard to replicate and it took some time, but we have successfully replicated the issue on your Ultimate Editor sample (www.karamasoft.com/UltimateEditor/Samples/Feature/Configuration/Configuration.aspx).

Steps are as below (IE9):

1) Ensure that SpellAsYouType is enabled
2) Clear out all editor content
3) Start typing quite quickly, including new line characters, and every now and then hold backspace.
4) Browser proceeds to lock up with "Long running script error" before freezing completely (only way to end is usually though task manager).

Step 3 varies greatly and there is a large amount of randomness to it. Some clients are getting it when just typing normally at completely random times, but we have managed to replicate it easiest by essentially typing very fast, with lots of new lines and backspacing.

May need to attempt to replicate several times as it is very random and does not seem to happen 100% but this is a very critical issue for our users as it is effectively preventing use of our system in some cases.

I'm not sure if it helps, but when I was recently debugging the issue, my javascript debugger pointed to the following function infinitely looping at the point of the browser crash:

"UltimateSpellAsYouType.prototype.usd8v"

- Specifically, the call in this function that appears to have the issue is the "moveEnd" function (something to do with selection?). Immediately before the browser crashes, this function is called a huge number of times (and noticed that during the "long running script error", the number of calls keeps on increasing massively).

27 May 2014, 12:57 PM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 5/8/2018 10:36:45 AM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We tried those steps but couldn't reproduce the issue by typing fast and random characters and carriage returns and space. You may try increasing the SpellWaitPeriod property of your UltimateSpell control to send the words to the spell checker less frequently to see if it resolves the issue.

29 May 2014, 2:18 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
Hi,

You may need to try a few times, as like I say it is very random. Also to clarify, this isn't only happening on one machine, we have had this happen at multiple locations on different machines - so it isn't just isolated to my machine.

Unfortunately, I worry that increasing the "SpellWaitPeriod" will impact the usage of our application in a negative way - however, I will try this to see if it does indeed make any difference.

Also, if it helps, I have done a screen recording of replicating the issue on your demo site this morning:

http://screencast.com/t/IFpUjrlrAp

This time, it froze just while typing characters, but it happens more often when backspacing.

Also, just to note that even though in the cast above, I am hitting keys quite quickly, this is just because it seems to be the easiest way to replicate. Our users are not doing this though, some can be typing quite slowly and it will just freeze for them half way through a word, which is why this is such a high impact issue for us.

03 Jun 2014, 8:39 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
Hi,

Is there any update available on this? Did the screen cast help in replicating the issue?

Thanks

03 Jun 2014, 9:33 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
Thank you for the screen cast. It helped us a lot to see the problem in action, but we're still having a hard time to reproduce it consistently. We'll keep you informed if we come up with a resolution.

09 Jun 2014, 1:09 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
Hi Karamasoft,

Are there any further updates on this? Have you managed to consistently replicate it yet? This is quite a pressing issue as it is having quite a high impact on our users.

09 Jun 2014, 1:05 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We understand your frustration, and we're terribly sorry for not being able to find a resolution yet. However, we're definitely still looking into it, and we assure you that we'll provide you with an update as soon as we get a fix for it. Again, sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

12 Jun 2014, 2:02 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
Thank you.

Also, just to notify you that we have tried increasing the "SpellWaitPeriod" to several values on your samples application. We set it up all the way to 5000ms but the problem still occurred - mainly when holding backspace whilst there were outstanding spell check requests.

16 Jun 2014, 2:23 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
Hi Karamasoft,

Has there been any further progression with this?

Thanks

16 Jun 2014, 1:23 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We don't have a resolution for the issue yet since we can't reproduce the issue in a consistent manner in our test environment. We'll keep you posted if we come up with a resolution.

17 Jun 2014, 12:54 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
Ok, it would be good if we could get periodic updates on this so that we can keep our clients updated please?

Did the code/function name I referenced in the first post have any issues around it, or was it of no help?

Thanks

27 Jun 2014, 2:04 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-27-2014
Posts 10
Hi Karamasoft,

Can we please have an update on this? It has been a month since I originally reported the issue, and as of yet there seems to have been no positive action taken.

I have referenced the point at which the code is failing, and hoped that this would have helped but you have not acknowledged if this is the case.

In addition, I have now been checking other browsers and I can confirm that your demo also crashes IE10.

So to confirm, this bug can easily be replicated (once you work out the pattern) in Internet Explorer versions 8, 9 and 10 on your demo page at http://www.karamasoft.com/UltimateEditor/Samples/Feature/Configuration/Configuration.aspx

27 Jun 2014, 11:52 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
Yes, we looked at the method you were referring to but couldn't find any issues with the method why it would cause an infinite loop. If you let us know the steps how you debugged and found that specific line in the code, we will be happy to try to debug the same way you did. Other than that, we still couldn't reproduce the issue. We tried both IE 9 and 10. Maybe we are not typing fast enough as you did in your screen cap or we have a different Internet speed. However, we also want to understand how this issue can happen in a normal business use case scenario of an editor (e.g. users typing non-random characters with a moderate/fast typing speed), which SpellAsYouType feature should handle the spelling errors without causing the browser to crash. There might be cases where you can crash the browser by sending too many words to the web server too quick, which would overload both your browser or your web server. If your business users are really using the editor as you did in your demo, it doesn't seem to be realistic to enable the SpellAsYouType feature as it would put too much load on your web server, and let them either use SpellAsYouType on-demand or use the spell check dialog when they finish typing.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateSpell » Re: UltimateSpell causing IE9 to freeze

You can add attachments
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You can delete your posts
You can edit your posts
You can create polls
You can vote in polls
Forum statistics are enabled
Forum is unmoderated

© 2002-2018 Karamasoft LLC. All rights reserved.