Home Search Member List Faq Register Login  
UltimateMenu
Re: Getting "The XML page cannot be displayed" when trying to run UltimateMenuDesigner as a web app

Thread Starter: jhurst   Started: 02-21-2006 12:31 AM   Replies: 8
 Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateMenu » Re: Getting "The XML page cannot be displayed" when trying to run UltimateMenuDesigner as a web app
 Printable Version    « Previous Thread   Next Thread »
  21 Feb 2006, 12:31 AM
jhurst is not online. Last active: 4/10/2007 11:34:31 PM jhurst

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2006
Posts 18
 Getting "The XML page cannot be displayed" when trying to run UltimateMenuDesigner as a web app
Hello, I just installed UltimateMenu (the entire suite, actually), so I''m a newbie to this toolkit. I'm getting "The XML page cannot be displayed" when trying to run UltimateMenuDesigner as a web app, using the link provided in the tutorial. I had installed it in it's default location. I'm running Windows XP Prof. SP2.
The complete error-text in IE (6) is:

"The XML page cannot be displayed"
A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://localhost/Karamasoft/UltimateMenu/v3.1/Desi...

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mswc" Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" Assembly="Microsoft.Web..."

Surprise

When I try to run it from within Visual Studio 2005, by selecting it within the designer, it gives an empty window with an hourglass sitting within it interminably.

21 Feb 2006, 8:33 AM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 5/8/2018 10:36:45 AM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
Re: Getting "The XML page cannot be displayed" when trying to run UltimateMenuDesigner as a web app
You need to have IIS installed on your machine in order to run the UltimateMenuDesigner.

21 Feb 2006, 10:08 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2006
Posts 18
Actually, I do have IIS installed on my machine. Is there a specific version of IIS that it requires, or is not compatible with?

21 Feb 2006, 10:16 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
Have you installed IEWebControls? See http://www.karamasoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=12.

21 Feb 2006, 11:55 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2006
Posts 18

No - thank you for that pointer! Interesting to discover such an item of which I'd been unaware.

I'm concerned, however, about this disclaimer from Microsoft's MSDN page:

This product is only compatible with machines running builds of the .NET Framework (1.0.3705.0) and Visual Studio® .NET (7.0.9466).

Does this imply that we shouldn't employ it if we're using VS 2005 and ASP.NET 2.0?

(Incidentally, why am I not able to remove the boldface formatting from that last sentence! I tried toggling the B button, and also clicking on the Remove Formatting btn.)

Incidentally, after installing WebControls and verifying that webctrl_client is indeed now present under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot, I still get that error-message. This has to be something I am doing wrong, because I'm trying it on two different machines on my desk and both are doing this.

Thank you, btw, for your prompt responces!

James Hurst

21 Feb 2006, 12:04 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
It may be due to where you installed on your machine. You may locate the UltimateMenuDesigner in IIS and try to open by browsing from inside IIS. Are you able to run the C# and VB.NET sample applications?

21 Feb 2006, 12:18 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2006
Posts 18

I am using all default installation paths. I did try browsing on UltimateMenuDesigner.aspx from within IIS. On the one box it still yields "The XML page cannot be displayed..", and on the other (my laptop) it simply opens a browser window but sits there showing an hourglass.

Yes, I am able to run C# and VB.NET applications.. I've had VS 2005 on my laptop awhile and have been building Windows forms and ASP.NET apps on it quite a bit.

Crying

21 Feb 2006, 12:34 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We mean the sample apps under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Karamasoft\UltimateMenu\v3.1\Demos. Can you open the Samples.aspx under CS and VB.NET, and see all samples working propelry. Is it only the UltimateMenuDesigner that doesn't work properly? You may open the Designer app's properties in IIS, and look into the ASP.NET tab. You may change the setting from 2.0 to 1.1 in the dropdown box.

21 Feb 2006, 8:21 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2006
Posts 18

Ok, well to make a long story short - that worked. I ran the sample C# app, it gave errors, I ran it again and suddenly it stopped failing. Then I found that I could run the UltimateMenuDesigner and lo! actually design a menu![8-|]

However, I am unable to save this menu to an XML file!

It says: Menu XML file cannot be saved. Click here to see FAQ about ASPNET write permissions.

I gave 'ASP.NET Machine Account' full permissions to the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot, and to the Karamasoft directory and everything beneath that. But nothing seems to work.

Where exactly would it be trying to save that file (I gave it no folder-name, just a simple MyMenu.xml)?  And how can I save it?   I assume that IS the way we normally want to save a menu, unless we're saving it within a database???

Thank you,

James

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateMenu » Re: Getting "The XML page cannot be displayed" when trying to run UltimateMenuDesigner as a web app

You can add attachments
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You can delete your posts
You can edit your posts
You can create polls
You can vote in polls
Forum statistics are enabled
Forum is unmoderated

© 2002-2020 Karamasoft LLC. All rights reserved.