Home Search Member List Faq Register Login  
UltimateSpell
Textbox freezes when spellchecker is ON

Thread Starter: Carenski   Started: 07-23-2010 9:51 AM   Replies: 14
 Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateSpell » Textbox freezes when spellchecker is ON
 Printable Version    « Previous Thread   Next Thread »
  23 Jul 2010, 9:51 AM
Carenski is not online. Last active: 2/7/2011 10:52:42 PM Carenski

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-16-2010
Posts 23
Textbox freezes when spellchecker is ON
Another issue we have is that when our page contains multiple text area at a time and add another set, the cursor seems lost and freezes the entire page. (The only way to make it editable again is thru pressing TAB which is not an option for our users at this point)

We created a stand alone project to reproduce this behavior. I also attached the screen shot where it gives an error in ultimatespell.ayt.js saying content window is null or not an object.

To reproduce this behavior, (when running our stand alone project):
(Also notice that the textbox format is different at first load- then succeeding postback makes it different again).
1. Type in any character in Title textbox(first textbox).
2. Right way press the Add New button.
3. Now the whole page is frozen. (this is the part where that js script error appeared: see JSError.bmp in the attachment).
4. You cannot do anything except hitting tab that points the cursor to the second textbox.

Thanks. I will email the standalone project that rep this behavior.

BTW, we will get back on the other issue we have (maxLength not firing unless we took the focus out of the textbox).

23 Jul 2010, 10:06 AM
Karamasoft is not online. Last active: 5/8/2018 10:36:45 AM Karamasoft

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
Re: Textbox freezes when spellchecker is ON
You need to place the UltimateSpell control inside the UpdatePanel to fix the issue. We moved the UltimateSpell control from your master page to the ContentTemplate section of the UpdatePanel in your ASPX page and it worked properly.

23 Jul 2010, 3:04 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-16-2010
Posts 23
If you mean to move the spellchecker from master page to each individual page, we will be in trouble. We are using the spellchecker for the entire app. And putting the spellchecker for each of the pages will be time consuming. Since we encountered lots of issues with this component along the way - we have some individual pages that we disable some controls to get it to work (e.g. text gets deleted at the end - as a work around, we put minus control so spellchecker is not interfering).

It does really get frustrating in our part. We have lots of issues because of this spellchecker and ate our budget just to reproduce the issue, create a stand alone project, etc.

23 Jul 2010, 3:12 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We don't know how you would implement it and just suggested you one way to resolve the issue. The bottomline is if you use an UpdatePanel, you have to place the UltimateSpell control inside it to use the SpellAsYouType feature properly.

23 Jul 2010, 5:01 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
As a followup to our previous post, if you want to keep your UltimateSpell control in your master page, you can do it by putting it inside an UpdatePanel in your master page as follows:

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanelMaster" runat="server">
   <ContentTemplate>
      <cc1:UltimateSpell ID="UltimateSpell1" runat="server" SpellAsYouType="True" ShowSpellButton="False">
      </cc1:UltimateSpell>
   </ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>

This way, you don't have to put an UltimateSpell control into each ASPX page. We hope this helps.

26 Jul 2010, 8:36 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-16-2010
Posts 23
Moving inside an update panel in Master page didnt help either.  Sad

26 Jul 2010, 2:07 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-16-2010
Posts 23
I also tried putting spellchecker component in the aspx itself inside the updatePanel though I didnt remove the spellchecker component completely(I just disabled the spellchecker component from masterpage). I put this code to disable the spellchecker from masterpage in the load event of aspx:

ContentPlaceHolder cp = (ContentPlaceHolder)Master.FindControl("cpAppraisalHeader");

Karamasoft.WebControls.UltimateSpell.UltimateSpell ulSpell = (Karamasoft.WebControls.UltimateSpell.UltimateSpell)cp.FindControl("UltimateSpellCheck");

ulSpell.SpellAsYouType = false;

This aspx has its own register directive of spellchecker and I put the component inside the update panel and set the spellasyouType attrib to true.

What I am trying to do here is used the spellchecker component inside this aspx and disable the one in masterpage.  But this solution didnt help either. I was wondering it has something to do with the object reference error returned by your js that freezing everything. If we can have a try catch here, so ignore this error, this might help ??? not sure. But really, I need your help on this.

thanks.

Btw, I am using IE 8.

26 Jul 2010, 4:18 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
It seems that the problem happens when you type something inside a textbox and directly click on the Add button. If we clicked on the document before clicking the Add button, the textboxes didn't get disabled. We received a JS error when the UltimateSpell control wasn't placed in an UpdatePanel, however, the JS error went away when we placed the UltimateSpell control either inside the master page or the ASPX page. We are currently working on this issue and let you know as soon as we resolve it. Thanks for your patience.

01 Sep 2010, 8:02 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-16-2010
Posts 23
Is there any update on this issue? We cannot tell all our users to not click the Add button as soon as they add text in the textbox. That they should click on any part of the document before clicking Add button. Our UltimateSpell control is already in the UpdatePanel inside the master page.

Here is the snippet from our master page where the ultimateSpell control is inside the UpdatePanel.

the register directive:

<%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="ajaxToolkit" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="UltimateSpell" Namespace="Karamasoft.WebControls.UltimateSpell"

TagPrefix="kswc" %>

The part were the Ultimate Spell is in UpdatePanel:

<td colspan="3" align="center">

<asp:UpdatePanel runat="server" ID="upSpellChecker">

<ContentTemplate>

<kswc:UltimateSpell ID="UltimateSpellCheck" SpellWaitPeriod="100" runat="server"

IncludeDirectory="~/Library/UltimateSpellInclude/" ShowSpellButton="False" SpellAsYouType="True">

<SpellButton ButtonType="Button" Text="Spell Check" CausesValidation="False" ImageUrl="" ImageAlign="AbsMiddle"></SpellButton>

</kswc:UltimateSpell>

</ContentTemplate>

</asp:UpdatePanel>

</td>

We are using both IE 8 and IE 7.

01 Sep 2010, 10:15 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We couldn't find a resolution for this issue yet. We will let you know as soon as we resolve it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

15 Sep 2010, 9:28 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 05-16-2010
Posts 23
Any luck? Sorry to bug you again. I have ~45,000 users bugging me on this Sad

16 Sep 2010, 12:58 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We couldn't find a resolution on this issue yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

20 Sep 2010, 9:19 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
We fixed this issue. We haven't released a new build but we will send you the patch shortly.

08 Nov 2010, 9:21 AM
synechron_abhay_user is not online. Last active: 1/10/2011 8:56:00 PM synechron_abhay_user

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 11-03-2010
Posts 6
I get the same error with UltimateSpell version: "3.6.3861.37157".
ultimatespell.ayt.js saying content window is null or not an object

I am not using update panel though. Please let me know if patch can be made available soon.

Thanks

08 Nov 2010, 11:24 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 09-05-2004
Posts 6,820
You seem to be using the latest version of UltimateSpell.dll. Did you copy the new UltimateSpellInclude directory to the root of your web app as well? If you upgraded from an earlier version, please refer to http://forums.karamasoft.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7303.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Karamasoft Support Forums » General Discussions » UltimateSpell » Textbox freezes when spellchecker is ON

You can add attachments
You can post new topics
You can reply to topics
You can delete your posts
You can edit your posts
You can create polls
You can vote in polls
Forum statistics are enabled
Forum is unmoderated

© 2002-2019 Karamasoft LLC. All rights reserved.