UltimateMenu
Topic: Re: Karamsoft Menu Samples Broken (IE11 issue)
Karamasoft Support Forums

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-09-2014 1:16 PM
Hi Folks,

This is a continuation of my earlier post to hopefully shed more light on this.

The dropdown menus have odd behavior on IE11. I have about 6 client sites that have this problem and I am tired of getting the phone calls. All of these sites have been running for over a year, so they are not new development.

Yes, the samples on the Karamasoft site work correctly, Yes, I have done the DOCTYPE change (years ago).

I have downloaded the evaluation version from Karamasoft and can recreate the problem with the eval version. I have created a video that shows the behavior of the sample on the Karamasoft web site and the behavior on localhost. The key point is that the drop downs do not work, but render a new menu.

My suspicion is that the JS in the eval version, the Karamasoft demo site and what has been distributed to customers (at least me) is out of sync.

Here is the video:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21157251/KaramasoftMenuIssue-1.wmv
When clicking on a top level menu item the lower level menu replaces the top level menu. Also notice that mouseover will show a url in the bottom left corner of the browser but will not drop down the menu.

UltimateMenu.DLL from evaluation download is version 3.3.4285.24779
UltimateMenu.DLL that I am using is version 3.3.4285.24814

Can you PM me a zip of the Scripts directory that you are using on your live sample site so that I have something to try? I'd be happy to test anything out as I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks,

Cliff

Posted by Karamasoft on 02-10-2014 10:20 AM
There is no difference in JS files between eval and full version. As we pointed out in our reply to your previous post, the problem is most likely related to the browser definitions on your web server. Your web server seems to not recognize IE11 as Internet Explorer.

You can refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3yekbd5b(v=vs.100).aspx and create a sample page to see how your server recognizes your IE11 browser and let us know about the results.

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-10-2014 4:14 PM
Thanks, this is helpful.

I'm also looking at other links such as:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20010416/net-not-picking-up-browser-files-so-ie11-is-not-detected

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2013/09/21/internet-explorer-11-user-agent-string-ua-string-sniffing-compatibility-with-gecko-webkit.aspx

Wonder if feature detection in the JS would help.

Best,

Cliff

Posted by Karamasoft on 02-10-2014 6:40 PM
Please let us know your browser capabilities details (browser, version, etc.) based on the link in our previous response so that we can help you better. Thanks.

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-10-2014 10:16 PM
Here it is:

Actual OS is Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64 Bit

Browser Capabilities
Type = InternetExplorer11
Name = InternetExplorer
Version = 11.0
Major Version = 11
Minor Version = 0
Platform = WinNT
Is Beta = False
Is Crawler = False
Is AOL = False
Is Win16 = False
Is Win32 = True
Supports Frames = True
Supports Tables = True
Supports Cookies = True
Supports VBScript = False
Supports JavaScript = 3.0
Supports Java Applets = False
Supports ActiveX Controls = False
Supports JavaScript Version = 1.5

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-11-2014 2:17 PM
Not sure if the browser capabilities listing gave you any insight.

It looks like for sites that are hosted by 3rd parties I need to migrate the code to .NET 4.5 in order to get the new browser cap file associated with IIS.

Has ultimate menu been tested on .NET 4.5? I'm assuming the .NET 4.0 release will work.

Will be trying this over the next couple of days

For sites under the clients' control I will see if their IT Dept can get a browser cap file for IIS7.

Any plans to do feature detection instead of browser sniffing?

Thanks,

Cliff

*** Update
From what I have been reading, it seems that in order to run .NET 4.5, you need IIS8. In order to run IIS8 you need Windows Server 2012. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense.

Posted by Karamasoft on 02-12-2014 11:00 PM
We will build a new release that resolves this issue over the weekend. We will let you know when it is ready to download.

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-13-2014 12:23 AM
Great News! Thanks and let me know if you would like for me to help test.

Posted by Karamasoft on 02-13-2014 9:47 AM
After we release the new build, you can download the free trial edition from our website. If your license has expired, you'll need to renew your license in order to get the latest full version.

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-13-2014 11:57 AM
Perfect!

Posted by Karamasoft on 02-15-2014 10:53 AM
The new builds are ready for you to download.

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-15-2014 11:09 AM
Excellent - downloading .NET 3.5 version now and will get back to you soon after I check it out on several projects/environments.

Posted by cliffk3ll on 02-15-2014 4:51 PM
Looks like this did the trick. Purchasing a new license now.

Thanks!

Cliff